Paternity Lawyer | Jamestown, TN

Paternity Lawyer | Jamestown, TN

Paternity, child support and visitation

Many children in Tennessee are born to unmarried couples. The mother has custody of a child born out of wedlock, until there is a court order saying otherwise. If the father wants custody, or even visitation with the child, he must file a petition to establish parentage.

Contrary to what many people believe, a DNA test does not establish parentage, or give a dad any rights to the child, but results of the test may be used in court to prove that a man is the father of the child.

An order requiring a dad to pay child support does NOT entitle him to visitation.

If you are the father of a child born out of wedlock, it is important that you establish yourself as your child's legal father. It is also important that you gain parenting time with your child.

If you are being sued for child support or paternity of a child that you believe does not belong to you, it is important that you respond quickly.

Our office has handled many paternity cases over the years, and we are here to help you. Contact us for the details.